About GEAR UP
The GEAR UP program is a nationwide US Department of Education effort that began in 1999. UC Riverside GEAR UP, a partnership with the Pomona Unified School District (PUSD) and City of Pomona, began in 2008 and completed its sixth year in June 2015. Originally, the program targeted students in the 7th grade and followed them through high school. During this grant cycle, the GEAR UP program has seen tremendous success in helping students prepare and succeed in postsecondary education. Through strategic and data-driven programming, we increased the number of Pomona Unified School District students who graduated high school and entered post secondary education.
The results validate the effectiveness of our service delivery model for PUSD students and their families.
Increase academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Highest California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) passing rates in the past three years of Pomona Unified school district.
- 72% of the cohort completed the necessary a-g courses pattern by the end of their first semester junior year.
- 37% of the cohort completed a higher math science such as Pre-Calculus or Calculus.
- Reduction in students’ deficiency grades in each of the GEAR UP high schools.
Increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education for GEAR UP students.
- GEAR UP cohort high school graduation rate between 87-99%. GEAR UP high schools included Diamond Ranch (99%) Fremont Academy (98%), Garey (92%), Ganesha (87%), and Village Academy (93%)
- 73.5% of cohort enrolled in some postsecondary education.
Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparations, and financing.
- On the average, 6 out of 10 GEAR UP families completed a FAFSA application in preparation for funding college.
- 1 out of 3 students who graduated enrolled in a 4-year institution of higher education.
- 400 students participated in our flagship program, Summer Residential, providing students with an opportunity to experience college life.
For more information about the UC Riverside GEAR UP program, please contact LaRae Lundgren, Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, at 951-827-2587.